Following on from my previous blog about plant-based diets I thought it was only appropriate to deliver to you a delicious vegan breakfast recipe.
Overnight oats are honestly the ultimate busy person hack. You can prepare a few serves of these at the one time, then store them in the fridge, ready to grab and go each morning. You could store them in containers, or even old jars. I had a friend at uni who used to put her oats in old peanut butter jars. That way the oats were infused with peanut butter and there was still plenty left on the sides of the jar to enjoy – yum!
This breakfast is high in fibre, protein and calcium (especially if you use Vitasoy Calciplus soy milk). Keep in mind the sugars may seem high however they are naturally occurring, coming from the fructose in the fruit.
If you’re interested in the nutrient breakdown of this brekky check out the Nutrition Information panel below.
Easy Overnight Oats | Serves 1
- ½ cup raw rolled oats
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- Dash of cinnamon
- ½ cup plant-based milk (I use soy)
*These are totally up to you*
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- ½ banana
- Handful strawberries
- Sprinkle of coconut flakes
- Combine oats, chia seeds, sultanas, cinnamon and plant-based milk in a container or jar and place in fridge for at least an hour. Preferably overnight.
- Top with fruits, nuts and seeds of your choice and enjoy!
* Other great toppings include: coconut yoghurt, walnuts, peanut butter, frozen berries, mango– the list goes on!
Tip: try to go for seasonal fruit as these are going to be the most fresh, tasty and nutritious.
Let us know if you try this recipe, we would love to see your recreations and how you put your own personal spin on our Overnight Oats! Feel free to leave us a comment or a picture on our Facebook page www.facebook.com/appetitefornutritionmelbourne we would love to chat. ☺