Everyone knows that Christmas can be a difficult time to eat within portion control and moderate our intake of sweets or foods that we may not consume on a regular basis. It is all about balance and getting together to celebrate a festive time of year. We have put together some helpful tips to help you this Christmas in managing some food choices, whilst still enjoying the holiday season.
Smart choice SNACK alternatives –
- Choose low fat dips (Low fat Tzatziki, Capsicum, Beetroot, Hummus)
- Reduced fat cheese (Low fat feta, ricotta, cottage or low fat tasty)
- Lean meats (Turkey, chicken, ham)
- Wholegrain rice crackers
- Crunchy vegetable sticks
- Nuts/dried fruit
- Antipasto (Sundried tomatoes, capsicum, olives, artichoke – drain oil well – opt for vinegar if available)
Smart choice ENTRÉE alternatives –
- Greek (with low fat feta)/Garden salad
- Roasted vegetable salad
- Fresh seafood (Prawns, mussels, scallops)
Choose salad dressing with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar.
Smart choice MAIN options –
- Lean turkey breast with cranberry sauce or small amounts of gravy (reduced salt preferred)
- Baked fish with herbs of choice
- Roast vegetables, lightly coated with olive oil spray & cooked in a separate dish to the roasting meat
Smart choice DESSERT options –
- Summer pudding with low-fat custard
- Pavlova with reduced fat cream and fruit
- Fresh fruit platter
We wish you all a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year!